Special Needs, Special Gifts.
For the Little “Red Fish” in All of Us
We meet from 10:30-11:15 a.m. in the Chapel. All are welcome!
Parables is a ministry that celebrates and empowers the community of people with special needs and their families. We offer ongoing programming for children and adults with developmental disabilities and their parents, as well as having an interactive, “special needs friendly” Worship Service each Sunday morning that embraces all people to come as they are— special needs or not. All are welcome!
The Parables ministry at WCC is based on this premise from 1 Corinthians Chapter 12, that EVERYONE has a gift to share— and we offer a safe and supportive place to discover that gift and celebrate it. This ministry is called Parables because it is the best descriptor of what this community has to offer the world. Just like Jesus’ parables in the Bible, our community of folks with developmental disabilities, can turn the world upside down, Just like Jesus’ parables, they challenge us about what is really important in life. Just like Jesus’ parables they offer profound lessons that are hard to hear. They challenge the status quo. They are teachers of unpopular things— as writer Anne Lamott says, “Jesusy things”— like humility, vulnerability, dependence and honesty.
Our fish logo says it all in one simple picture. In it you see a school of fish all swimming in one direction, and one lone Red Fish swimming the other way— not the wrong way, just a different way. That’s us, the Parables community.
The Parables Worship Service is offered each and every Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m. from mid-September-May in the WCC Chapel. There is music, singing praying, dancing, scripture readings and a message all offered in a safe and loving space.
We also offer:
• A twice a month Bible Study for Parables Young Adults
• A monthly Pizza and Movie Night for Parables Young Adults
• Ongoing WCC Mission opportunities for our Parables Youth and Young Adults
• A monthly Parables Respite/Friendship Group held at the church on alternating Friday nights and Saturdays
• A week -long summer camp for Parables Youth and Young Adults held in August at WCC
• Ongoing Parables Parents Book Groups held throughout the year.
• A Parables “Buddy Program” to pair Parables Youth and Young Adults with friends from the community.
PARABLES Worship Service is offered every Sunday morning from 10:30 -11:15 a.m. in the WCC Chapel, September through May. Click here to read more about the vision for PARABLES.