Wayzata Community Church (WCC) has been helping people with their faith journeys for over 130 years. In 1881 twelve people, concerned with their own unfulfilled spiritual needs and the wild, rough, undisciplined life in the area, covenanted together to “bring civilization to the wicked, uncivilized village of Wayzata.” These 12 charter members soon adopted a Constitution, a Confession of Faith and a Covenant. With borrowed money, a church was built on a small tract of donated land at the corner of Rice and Walker Streets. The new Congregational Church of Christ in Wayzata was completed and dedicated in September 1881.
In the fall of 1948, the church officially adopted the name Wayzata Community Church. Also in 1948, ground was broken for a new church on a new site, the corner of Ferndale and old Highway 12 (now Wayzata Boulevard), our current location. On November 27, 1949, the new Wayzata Community Church was dedicated.
Today the church has grown to minister to nearly 3,000 confirmed members, hundreds of children, young people and friends of the congregation. WCC is among the top five largest congregations of the United Church of Christ. It has become a physical and spiritual landmark in the lives of its members and the Wayzata community. Besides regular worship services, people come for Music at Wayzata concert performances, author visits sponsored through the “Literary Minds” series, classes and workshops, scouting organizations, support groups, WCC’s Nursery School, the justly-famed Annual Women’s Fellowship Rummage Sale, and other nondenominational community events.